【一次精通一單字】Get (五)
What’s got into you recently?
(你最近是中了什麼邪? Jib-Jab 2004)
美國2004年總統大選,共和黨布希對抗民主黨凱利,凱利一路領先,競選團隊興奮過度,行為不斷出狀況,Jib-Jab寫一首歌This Land除了嘲笑布希的愚蠢,也諷刺凱利團隊的狂妄:
What’s got into your team recently? (你的團隊最近中什麼邪?)
【Get Down】
Get Down本意有二:
1) 從某處下來(車上、樹上等)
Get down from there before you fall.
(在你沒摔下來前給我下來)
2) 俯身、彎腰(躲避、避難時)
Everybody get down! I’m going to fart.
(大家趴下!我要放屁了)
Get someone Down,引申「不開心」
* 讓人心情很down,不開心、意志消沉
* 等於Bring someone down
Don’t let the little setback get you down.
(不要讓小小的挫折打擊)
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.
(下雨天和星期一總讓我不開心)
Get something Down,引申「抄寫下來」
* 即Write Down
We were trying to get down everything she said.
(我們努力抄寫她說的每一句話)
Let me get it down in black and white.
(讓我用白紙黑字抄寫下來)
Get food Down,引申「吃下去、喝下去」
* 可接受詞在最後,Get it down on you (你給我吃下去)
I need to get some food down.
(我需要吃一點東西)
Get the drink down.
(喝了吧)
Get Down To something,引申「開始認真」
We need to get down to work now.
(我們必須認真工作了)
Let’s get down to business.
(言歸正傳、進入正題)
Get Down,引申「跳舞」
* 美國俚語
We were getting down on the dance floor when the music was playing.
(當音樂響起,我們到舞池上跳舞)
Get Down,引申「嘿咻、炒飯」
* 美國俚語
All Jim wants to do is get down all the time.
(Jim整天都只想著要嘿咻炒飯)
【Get In, Get Into】
Get In,原意「進入」,特別是需要花點功夫
Get Into和Get In意思相同,只有一個差異,不接受詞用Get in,接受詞用Get Into
The bus was packed. We couldn’t get in.
(公車太滿了,我們擠不進去)
We were trying to get into the crowded bus.
(我們拼命擠公車)
* packed,裝滿了、非常多人
Get in,引申「到達」
* 特別指回到家
He didn’t get in until very late last night.
(他昨天很晚才回到家)
I couldn’t get into the house.
(我進不去屋子裡)
Get In,引申公車、火車、飛機「到站」
What time does the train get in?
(火車什麼時候進站?)
The subway train is getting into the station.
(地鐵即將進站)
Get In,引申「當選、凍蒜」
If I get in, I will lead Taiwan to another level.
(如果我凍蒜,我將帶領台灣到另一個階段)
Wang Jin-Pyng first got into parliament in 1875.
(王金平在1975年第一次進入國會)
Get In,引申「獲取入大學」
* 專用在獲取入大學,College或University
* 錄取進入某大學,用into,I got into Yale (我得到耶魯大學入學許可)
I applied to Taiwan University and got in.
(我申請台灣大學並獲取入學)
She got into NCTU.
(她考上交通大學)
Get In,引申「交付」
* 比方把作業交給老師,或者把申請表交付給有關單位
* 更常用的是turn in
Can you get your paper in by Friday?
(星期五以前可以把作業交上來嗎?)
Please get your insurance claim in to me today.
(請今天把保險索賠單交給我)
慣用語:Get In On something,參與
* 特別是是熱情地參與
* 慣用語Get in on the act或Get in on the action,插一手、參一咖
* 也可以把on改成into
We all want to get in on this project.
(我們都想要參與這個方案)
Everybody wants to get in on the act.
(大家都想參一咖)
She was getting into politics.
(她開始從政)
慣用語:Get In With someone,結交、親近
We have to get in with people who carry weight.
(我們必須結交有影響力的重量級人物)
She got in with a bad crowd.
(她交了壞朋友)
慣用語:What’s got into you?
你這個人是怎麼回事?
* 用在當某人的行為忽然間異乎尋常
I don’t know what’s got into him recently.
(我不知道他最近是怎麼回事)
留言列表